Saturday, March 29, 2008

My Primary Predictions (A Recap)

My primary predictions were wrong. I accurately predicted that Giulliani would not get the Republican nomination, but I was way off base in selecting Huckabee. In the end, Huckabee stayed around longer than many expected, but I should have known that the Republicans would resort to a nomination of entitlement much the way they did in 1996 with Dole. Unlike then, McCain is a much more formidable candidate with cross-party appeal and national security credentials in a post 9-11 world. His major disadvantages, however, are loyalty to Bush, unyielding support for the war in Iraq, lack of funds, and lack of support from the religious right. Some might also consider his age as a disadvantage, I don't.

As for the Democrats, I am pleasantly surprised. I never thought Obama or anyone else could seriously challenge the Clinton machine. My original preference for the Democratic nomination was Kucinich, Gravel, or Edwards. Although I do not agree with everything Obama advocates or represents, I still believe he is the best candidate for the Democratic Party and the nation at this time. Like I said before, I believe the country needs a healer now, not another Clinton (Hillary) or Bush (McCain).

No comments: