Saturday, September 27, 2008

In Retrospect

Following a well-organized and moderated debate (kudos to Jim Lehrer and PBS), I decided to sleep on it before offering any commentary. My initial reaction was that neither candidate did very well. After reading many blog reactions I believe several Obama supporters (including myself) were too critical of his performance. I cannot speak for McCain supporters. To a certain extent I think this is understandable and to be expected, and I don't necessarily believe it's such a bad thing. I believe the most ardent supporters on both sides hold their candidates to stricter, albeit sometimes unrealistic, standards. There's nothing wrong with wanting your candidate to excel, but there really isn't any need for your candidate to try to crush his opponent.

In retrospect, I believe both candidates did what they had to do in the first debate. I think Obama looked, acted, and spoke like someone who could be president. And I believe McCain lived up to (maybe exceeded) expectations considering his reputation for economic issues and the possibility of a debate postponement. And McCain also performed well with regard to national security issues. And as expected, McCain was on the offensive and attacked Obama because he is currently trailing in a majority of national and state polls.

Anyway, I thought both candidates demonstrated knowledge of the issues at hand regardless if anyone agrees with them or not. And I believe McCain, with a few exceptions, was speaking to his base more than Obama. I think this benefits McCain more because this is how Republicans win elections. And that is exactly how they won in 2000 and 2004.

Overall, I thought McCain looked the most uncomfortable on stage. I believe this involves many factors: he's trailing, he realizes he has to play by the Republican playbook to a certain extent, he's admitted he's not very knowledgeable about the economy, and the economy is not very good for a candidate who is from the same party whose had most of the control the last eight years.

Debate Scorecard and winners:
Presentation: Obama
Demeanor: Obama
Knowledge of Issues: Tie
Red Meat: McCain
Expectations: McCain

Overall: Tie
Obama's strengths were overall image and knowledge of issues.
McCain's strengths were meeting expectations and knowledge of issues.

UPDATE: These links are encouraging if you support Obama
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wup4nsIWe8A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALdyDYZiC_8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9fThbEGFBc

1 comment:

Political Realm said...

I pretty much agree. I can see how people could give the win to either side. I thought McCain would win the post-debate polls because he was more aggressive and the subject was his turf. I was surprised to see Obama win those post-debate snapshots, because his benefits seemed more long term. He was able to illustrate a command of the issues and build a familiarity with the electorate. As people become more comfortable with him and believe in his readiness to lead, the general tilt of the landscape to the Democrats should be enough to carry him into the White House.